Spiritualism is the Science, Religion, and Philosophy of continuous life, based on the demonstrated fact of communication with those who live in the Spirit World. Spiritualism initiated in the 19th century when belief in mediums and seances became common throughout the Western world. However, spiritualism includes much more than a simple belief in spirits. It includes a wider worldview containing both the physical and spiritual worlds and their connection.
- “Spiritualism is a Science” because it analyzes, investigates, and classifies facts and manifestations from the spirit side of life.
- “Spiritualism is a Religion” because it attempts to understand and obey the Physical, Mental and Spiritual Laws of Nature – the laws of God.
- “Spiritualism is a Philosophy” because it takes research on the Laws of Nature both on the visible and invisible sides of life. It accepts statements of demonstrated facts of past ages and conclusions drawn from that place while sustaining by results of demonstrated facts of the present day.
- Spiritualism is the presence of an infinite intelligence, a supreme but impersonal power that represents itself through the natural world and everything within it. Everything and every human are part of this God’s manifestation.
- Death is not the end of life. The soul can manifest a variety of existences, of which mundane life is only one. After that, the soul can continue to evolve just as it did on earth, throughout multiple spiritual realms.
- Relationship with these non-corporeal souls is both possible and important to our own understanding of the world and ourselves.
- There is no Hell or Heaven. There is always an opportunity for redemption, not only in this life but also in life after physical death.
- Each takes responsibility for his own actions and circumstances.
Most religious leaders criticized the spiritualists, blaming them for being in communication with demons – a contravention of biblical commands. However, there was much more than a case of breaking some traditional religious rules. Spiritualists are posing a basis challenge to traditional authority, religion, politic, and society.
Some mediums claimed that the spirits can predict the future. This is not the declaration of Spiritualists though they do accept that the spirits can provide clues about future events since they are able to understand the bigger picture.
Most 19th century mediums were Christians, too. As a result, Christianity does influence some branches of Spiritualism, particularly on moral issues. However, spiritualism has its own separate faith.
Spirits are considered to be of numerous stages of enlightenment because they have experienced things in the Spirit world that we have not. However, just like there are disagreeable or ignorant people, there are also disagreeable and ignorant spirits.
Spiritualism is mostly used to foretell the future. Psychics rely on many methods to make their predictions, like astrology, numerology, palmistry, cartomancy, phrenology, I-ching, geomancy, or even felidomancy. They use a lot of divination tools to assist their performance, like Tarot cards, crystal ball, runes, Ouija board, tea leaves, and so on. Nowadays, both believers and non-believers come to spiritualism to find guidance for their life.